Wednesday, December 5, 2012

One Year, Twelve Months, Fifty-two Weeks, Five Hundred Sixty-five Days



The Lord has done great things--and always will.

And we start all over again. 2012 fades into history and 2013 begins to follow. Where have all the hours gone? Certain days stand out. But most days are glued together with similarity. The functioning of life revolves around the mundane, taken for granted, and boring. I love those days. My mantra for several years is that I love boring. After years of physical exhaustion of babies and youngsters, more years than I wanted of mental exhaustion with middle and high schoolers, then wrapping up with the emotional exhausting years of letting go through college and marriage, life with days of boredom is a gift. But either I've been tricked or I believed a lie that was spread by someone, somewhere; because life isn't simpler or easier being in an empty nest.

I am only speaking from a wife/woman perspective; I can speculate, know a tidbit, and assume some aspects of hubby's mind, yet I will not speak for him...I only know me...or think I do! This time of life in a marriage is an "adventure"! (How do you convey a sarcastic sentence?) When you've reached almost 43 years of marriage, you've either compromised a lot, ignored a lot, forgiven a lot, laughed a lot, suppressed a lot, learned a lot, cried a lot, prayed a lot, had thoughts of murder, but mostly kissed and made up. This was done if you meant your covenant vows before God and there have been no horrendous incidents to warrant the breaking of those vows...and there are valid ones. I am profoundly thankful that I have not had any of the latter; but I've learned to never say never. Be watchful, guard, and protect is the vanguard at this point.

It's been hectic lately. It's been a year of realizing and feeling the process of getting older. Truly, where have all the hours of 62 years gone!? I look at my hubby who I have been with since he was 18 years old and I was 15 years old. Isn't there a law somewhere...! He is the only man I've ever dated, kissed, and other such "only's"! About 15 years into the marriage I thought I had missed out by not dating more. Now, at 42 years of marriage, I don't think I missed much! I'm actually glad I have nothing to compare! My husband cannot say the same. So I do remind him now and then as to how special he has been to have a "no one else" wife...I do not let him forget how rare that is. I'm not ashamed to use that card to my advantage!

It's been quite a year. The best year of my spiritual journey. A better year than the year before in my marriage journey. A transitioning year as a Grammy as the youngest grandchild is now 4 and the oldest is 13. Holy Moly!!!  A melancholy year as my parents are in their final years. A wondrous year with girlfriends. A contended year with the animals and carpenter projects. A year of writing 1000 Gifts (http://www.aholyexperience.com Ann Voskamp). I have been thankful. I am thankful. I intend to stay thankful.

The best lesson I learned this year, these last 12 months, during 52 weeks, through 365 days is that I only have today. More exactly, the now-moment of this day. So for this moment, I am grateful. Humbly, heart-full, grateful. I have to say it doesn't get any better than feeling the gratefulness.  Thank You Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment